Top 12 Tech Startup Semi-finalists Announced for Seventh Annual AngelCon Pitch Even
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Feb, 1 2024
Contact: Judy Mahan 805-756-5180; firstname.lastname@example.org
Top 12 Tech Startup Semi-finalists Announced for Seventh Annual AngelCon Pitch Event
SAN LUIS OBISPO, CA- The Cal Poly Center for Innovation for Entrepreneurship (CIE) Small Business Development Center (SBDC) announced the twelve tech startup semi-finalists to compete in the 2024 Angel Conference: Dragon Q Energy, Hikari Medical Technologies, Horizen Biotech, JackRabbit Salvage Marketplace, Little Feet Packaging, Liquid8, Masterfully, Mense, Metabowlite, Nexstera Tech, SciKare and Spyra Beauty. The hybrid conference will take place at Rod & Hammer Rock and stream on YouTube Live, May 2nd. Companies will have an opportunity to compete for $100,000+ in equity-backed funding.
● Dragon Q Energy: creating an innovative energy storage solution that is tailored for extreme climates & underground use.
● Hikari Medical Technologies: developing a noninvasive precision drug dosing and monitoring platform to provide improved patient safety.
● Horizon Biotech: provides tools that empower alcohol drinkers and public safety officials to make more informed decisions. The first product is an inexpensive patch that conveniently and continually gives insight into individual BAC levels.
● JackRabbit Salvage Marketplace (JSM): serves the design & construction industries as well as buyers of materials, facilitating the monetization of primarily C&D (construction & demolition) waste; thus turning waste into product.
● Little Feet Packaging: on a mission to replace the 160 million tons of plastic packaging used each year with paper based recyclable and compostable solution called Pubble Wrap.
● Liquid8: developing a revolutionary way to help companies meet their water neutral goals through an Amazon-style water marketplace.
● Masterfully: optimizes the hiring and training of specialized cybersecurity professionals via Advisor Plus,-equipped for in-house course authoring, learning management, and data analytics to seamlessly create cybersecurity testing, training and onboarding programs specific to each company’s unique tech stack.
● Mense:on a mission to destigmatize menstruation and elevate the conversation surrounding this natural and essential aspect of reproductive health. Starting with period care made for menstruators by menstruators.
● Metabowlite: utilizes optical technologies to detect urinary tract infections early and help save lives, improve health and reduce costs.
● Nexstera Tech: revolutionizing radar technology using machine learning to precisely identify materials in challenging environments. The flagship product, Pyrotack, targets the billion-dollar issue of battery-induced fires in the waste stream.
● SciKare: advanced technologies for kidney health management, developing AI-powered devices and dietary supplements for managing kidney health in at-risk populations.
● Spyra Beauty: a social media and AI based platform for discussing health and beauty.
This annual event is propelled by a dedicated group of angel investors interested in investing in early-stage startups in exchange for ownership equity or convertible debt. Central California’s top six startup finalists will compete in the seventh annual AngelCon pitch competition on Thursday, May 2nd at the Rod & Hammer Rock and stream on YouTube Live. The winner will receive $100,000+ in angel investments to grow their business.
“We are thrilled with the quality of the startups in the lineup for this year’s seventh Annual AngelCon. The top competing startups span a diverse range of industries, this year we are seeing a significant number in MedTech, a trend that began to emerge last year. Through AngelCon, we are excited to be supporting the next generation of companies that will be growing in our region, helping build a more diverse local economy focused on tech.” - Judy Mahan, Director of the Cal Poly CIE Small Business Development Center.
AngelCon 2024 is presented by Pacific Premier Bank. Attendees can purchase tickets at angelcon2024.eventbrite.com. Virtual and in person tickets are available to the community, registration is required. Early Bird tickets are available until March 15th, Virtual tickets for $10 and Live Event tickets for $50 that include networking and dinner. Visit the event’s website sbdc.calpoly.edu/angelcon for more information.
About the Cal Poly CIE Small Business Development Center
The Cal Poly CIE Small Business Development Center is funded in part through a subcontract between Cal Poly, the city of San Luis Obispo and UC Merced, under the current cooperative agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration. The SBDC is a top resource for business owners and aspiring entrepreneurs, offering no-cost, expert one-on-one business consulting, training and online courses in startup assistance, debt and equity funding, sales and marketing, international trade and product commercialization. For more information, visit sbdc.calpoly.edu.